One of my favorite recipes I’ve discovered while eating Whole 30 is homemade mayo. It is seriously better than Duke’s! And guess what? No sugar. The only thing you have to get over is the fact that there is a raw egg in it. Just throw caution to the wind, baby!
I got this recipe from Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan. I highly recommend this book 🙂
1 large egg
2 Tbsp lemon juice (she suggests using bottled lemon juice instead of fresh for its reliable acid content)
1/4 cup plus 1 cup light-tasting olive oil (not extra virgin!)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1. To a blender or food processor, add the egg and lemon juice and allow to come to room temperature. At least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. I usually do this while I’m cooking dinner and finish it up after I eat.
2. Next add mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup oil to the blender.
3. Blend on medium until ingredients are combined.
4. Here is the hard part. Slowly add the remaining 1 cup oil while the blender is blending. Go as slow as you can.
5. When all the oil is incorporated, it will be like magic and all of sudden, you’ll have mayo!!!!!!!!
6. Transfer to a container. It expires when the egg expires. Mine usually doesn’t hang around that long before I need another batch. It makes almost a mason jar full.